LEAD RESEARCH ECONOMIST Emploi Full-timeil y a 11 mois - Banking - Abidjan - 275 vues
Détails de l'annonce
The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP) is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the VP for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’. The CE/VP is responsible for (i) providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy; (ii) systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies. The CE/VP will inspire, generate and provide direct support to the President and Senior Management of the Bank on a broad range of technical and management issues within the broad remit of economic, finance, public financial governance, management and social economics.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The Macroeconomics Policy, Forecasting And Research Department is dedicated to the generation of high quality knowledge in the area of development in Africa. It provides technical support to operations and regional member countries through rigorous analytical work; engages in impactful policy dialogue with decision-making bodies within and outside of the Bank; and most importantly enhance the operational effectiveness of the Bank in achieving the High 5s. The activities of the department focus on macroeconomic surveillance, analysis of structural factors impeding Africa’s progress in reducing poverty and creating jobs as well as microeconomic issues related to finance, infrastructure development, private sector development, industrial organizations, governance & institutions, agriculture, competitiveness & investment climate, and regional integration. The department is seeking to strengthen its team of analysts by recruiting a Lead Research Economist with expertise in the High 5s areas including the following: infrastructure including energy, agriculture, private sector development, and social sectors.
By filling this position the Research Department intends to consolidate its contribution to the implementation of Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy and foster the relevance of the Research Department to operations and member countries, through:
- Enhancing the operational effectiveness of the Bank, by improving establishing the feedback loop to learn from completed Bank operations through various evaluation exercises.
- Strengthening the Bank Results Framework
- Consolidating the implementation of the Research Department agenda in accordance to the High 5s (Bank’s 5 Priority areas), through the production of the Bank’s flagship publications, working papers, market studies and impact evaluation exercises
- Strengthening knowledge generation in macroeconomic and microeconomic issues related to the broader priority areas of the Bank.
- Provide support to Top management through providing real time economic intelligence (through drafting of statements, speeches, and policy briefs) for the Bank’s President and Senior Management on economic development issues.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the general supervision of the Director the incumbent’s Duties and Responsibilities will be as follows:
- Provide critical and intellectual oversight on strategic work program of the department including :
- Quality assurance: by working closely with Division Managers, review key knowledge products of the department and provide technical support to achieve rigor, clarity and credibility.
- Oversee the quality of working papers series, journal publications (African Development Review) and flagships by leading peer review and editorial committees.
- Assess technical capacity of the research team in the department and ensure they are strengthened as needed.
- Conduct research in the areas supporting the Bank’s High 5s (High priority areas: Light Up and Power Africa (Energy), Feed Africa (Agriculture and Nutrition), Industrialize Africa (Industrialization), Integrate Africa (Regional Integration) and Improve quality of live for Africans (Sustainable socio-economic development)).
- Provide technical and analytical inputs into the work of Operations Complexes:
- Provide input into Country Strategy Papers (CSPs).
- Participate in Economic Sector Works (ESW).
- Peer review project, program, policy documents, including documents submitted to the Operations Committee.
- Coordinate the production of Bank Economic Intelligence documents:
- Provide economic intelligence (statement, policy briefs) to Senior Management on economic development issues.
- Contribute knowledge in the Bank’s “Working Papers Series " and the Bank’s "African Development Review":
- Publish research papers and review submitted articles to the African Development Review and Working Paper Series.
- Participate in collaborative research and knowledge management activities carried out jointly with regional and international organizations, research and capacity building institutions in Africa, development research centers and universities.
- Review operation documents and participate in review meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director.
SELECTION CRITERIA: (including desirable skills, knowledge and experience)
- A Master’s Degree in Economics or related discipline. PhD is a strong advantage.
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in development research, or related area.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team in interdisciplinary and multicultural environment, a very good team spirit valuing mutual respect as well as regular and open communication;
- Strong publication record in international peer reviewed journals.
- Track record of policy dialogue, advocacy, and capacity building.
- Relevant professional experience in development policy research and analysis of economic conditions that are of relevance for the High 5s (Bank priority areas).
- Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda and notes to inform project design.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the use of statistical and econometric methods and packages in development economics research; theoretical knowledge to develop and implement research programs; ability to design and manage research projects from conceptualization to publication.
- Demonstrable experience and ability to initiate exciting and innovative research projects with no supervision
- Strong written and oral communication skills as well as mature interpersonal and professional relationships.
- Established reputation in well-known research networks and ability to broker knowledge through partnerships, collaborations and networks.
- Ability to communicate and represent management in different committees both internal and external
- Proficient in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proven skills in drafting and preparation of policy memoranda.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- For this position team work skills are critical: ability to work in interdisciplinary and multicultural environment, contribute constructive comments and receive positively the views of team members on own work. Ability to work with colleagues in other Complexes, especially in Operations.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with concise comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a filled-in field application form will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. http://www.afdb.org